Battlefield of 1814
The Mackinac Island Battlefield of 1814 is located on British Landing Road near the center of the Island.
In 1814, the Americans landed on the North Western side of Mackinac Island and began moving toward the Island’s center. Their hope was to surprise the British in
However, the British and their Native American Allies were waiting for them and the battle ensued.
The Americans were defeated and forced to retreat. They did not regain control of the Island until 1815 following the signing of the Treaty of Ghent on December 24, 1814 which ended the War of 1812.
The Battlefield is sited on and adjacent to the
Wawashkamo Golf Club.
Read more about
Mackinac Island History!
Return to Mackinac Island Insider Tips from " Mackinac Island Battlefield of 1814"