Visit our Mackinac Island Event Calendar to find a variety of fun and interesting things to do on Mackinac Island and in the neighboring northern Michigan towns and communities.
You will find information ranging from the free evening events, such as a poetry reading at the Mackinac Island library to the big national weekend events at the Grand Hotel or Mackinac State Historic Parks.
Keep coming back to this page or make sure you join our Mackinac Island blog to be updated with all the new and exciting things to do on your Mackinac Island vacation.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
GRAND HOTEL'S JEWEL GOLF COURSE AND WAWASHKAMO GOLF CLUB
MACKINAC ISLAND, MICHIGAN
Golf Benefit is $300 per person
Special overnight rates for golfers on August 26 will be available.
Call 906-643-0456 or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
for registration and sponsorship opportunities.
Registration is limited to 168 golfers.
Honorary Chairperson: Victor Callewaert
Grand Hotel Poetry Series
Another Great Mackinac Island Event Calendar
Poet Jim Lenfestey, Poet In Residence at the Grant Hotel, has once again organized a wonderful Wednesday morning of poetry sessions at the Grand Hotel in the Audubon Bar. Only water and free coffee is available for this complimentary event and all ages are welcome.
The Mackinac Island Event Calendar Scheduled Poetry Sessions Are:
- July 14, 2010, 10:45 a.m. - 12 p.m. Poet Lenfestey reads from the work of Percy Bysshe Shelley and discusses Shelley and his romantic world he lived in.
- July 21, 2010, 10:45 a.m. - 12 p.m. Poet Lenfestey reads from the work of Henry Wadsorth Longfellow, especially the Song of Hiawatha, while discussing the important native sources in northern Michigan connections in this historic poem. This program will also include Jane Johnston Schoolcraft's poetry, an Ojibwa Indian, 1800-1842.
- August 4, 2010, 10:45 a.m. - 12 p.m. Poet Jim Lenfestey hosts Thomas Lynch, National Book Award Finalist, who will read from his poetry and discuss funeral odes. Thomas Lynch appears at the Mackinac Island Public Library at 4:00 p.m. this same for a similar program.
- August 11, 10:45 a.m. - 12 p.m. Poet Jim Lenfestey reads and discusses Anne Sexton, 1928 - 1974, a woman of brilliant misery.
- August 18, 10:45 - 12 p.m. Hosted by Jim Lenfestey, Robert Bly reads and discusses his work in poetry, criticism and translation with a lively discussion encouraged. Robert Bly will also read his poetry at the Mackinac Island Public Library on Thursday, August 19 at 4 p.m. All are welcome!
- August 25, Pot Luck Session, where the audience (young and old) brings poems they love to read and recite to a warm and encouraging augience. Parents encourage your child who loves reading to attend and recite his or her favorite poem!
We truly appreciate the Grand Hotel being a sponsor for this Mackinac Island Event Calendar.
An Exciting Mackinac Island July Event
Grand Mackinac Antiques Appraisal Show
Do you enjoy watching the popular PBS show, Antiques Roadshow? Do you have fun trying to guess how much Aunt Mabel’s vase will appraise for? Does your jaw drop when the antique appraiser says that Aunt Mabel’s vase is worth $10,000 when you guessed only about $750? Do you watch the owner’s response to see if his jaw drops?
If you do, then don’t miss Mackinac Island’s fun and educational day and evening event, Grand Mackinac Antiques Appraisal Show sponsored by Mackinac State Historic Parks, Mackinac Associates and the Grand Hotel.
This Mackinac Island Event is on July 15, 2010 in the Grand Hotel Theatre.
What’s really grand are the three well-known antique appraisers who will be there! You won't want to miss this event!
- Peter Rathbone, senior consultant and advisor, Sotheby’s American Paintings, Drawings and Sculptures will intrigue you with his lecture on his personal journey in the evolution of the American paintings.
- The famous Keno Brothers will be attending to appraise your Aunt Mabel’s vase or Uncle Henry’s print of the Straits of Mackinaw. Leslie and Leigh Keno have appeared on Antiques Roadshow since 1997. They also will be keynote speakers during the lecture series and will captivate you with their fascinating lecture about “hidden treasures.”
This day-long Mackinac Island event includes art/antiques lectures in the morning and art/antiques appraisals in the afternoon and evening at the Grand Hotel Theatre. As a ticket holder you are allowed up to two of your antique treasures to be appraised.
The $30.00 per person ticket must be purchased no later than June 21.
Click here for a Registration form
or by calling Mackinac State Historic Parks at 231-436-4100.
The Grand Hotel
is offering a special accommodations package for this Mackinac Island event. You can inquire at 1-800-334-7263.
Have A Great Event Our Readers Should Know About?
Do you have a great event? Share it!
Click below to see other events...
Insider Tip: Keep coming back for the Mackinac Island Event Calendar will be adding more and more fun events to make you understand how magical this Island is for everyone.
Return to Home Page from "Mackinac Island Event Calendar"